Bonga

i never thought unemployment was this depressing I'm in IT thought it would be easy landing a job but even an internship is so hard I wish I had the capital to start a business or something there's something about just wasting away not sad not unhappy just is.

Kenyan youth are suffering out here

Published  17th Feb 2021 at 11:24 am

These are extraordinary times and for most people. Aside from the obvious financial anguish it can cause, the stress of unemployment can also take a heavy toll on your mood, relationships, and overall mental and emotional health. You may feel powerless over the direction of your life, or blame yourself for some perceived shortcoming or mistake. The stress and worry can feel overwhelming. But no matter how bleak things seem right now, there is hope. With time and the right coping techniques, you can come to terms with these setbacks, ease your stress and anxiety, and move on with your working life.

It may be obvious, but it's nonetheless important to remember that being unemployed does not mean you have failed. For many of us, our work shapes our identities and defines who we are. After all, when you meet someone new, one of the first questions they ask is, “What do you do?” When unemployed, we feel a loss of self. But it’s important to remember that being unemployed doesn’t have to define who you are as a person. It’s up to you define yourself, not the state of the economy or a company’s decision to not hire you.

Remember that you're much more than your job. Our work life is important to many of us, but it's not what makes us who we are. People have characteristics, skills, values and attributes that go well beyond their jobs. Remind yourself that unemployment is not permanent. Yes, it's going to be bumpy, but it's going to end. Don't lose that perspective. This is not a permanent state of affairs - this is temporary."

Try and get together with other job seekers as this can be invaluable sources of encouragement, support, and job leads. Being around others facing similar challenges can help energize and motivate you during your job search. Rather than wasting your precious energy worrying about situations that are out of your hands, turn your attention to what you can control during your unemployment, such as learning new skills, writing a great cover letter and resume, and setting up meetings with your networking contacts.

Structuring your day can help keep depression and anxiety at bay. "I encourage my patients to make a calendar for the week and divide the days into morning, afternoon and evening. Try to wake up and go to bed at the same time each day, and incorporate other regular activities, such as set mealtimes.

Exercising regularly is even more important if you find yourself unemployed and therefore maybe less physically active in your day-to-day life.

Published  18th Feb 2021 at 5:29 pm

I workout every day 30 minutes go for walks etc once every two days or so sometimes a run.. Thanks for the advice.

I will keep in mind

Published  18th Feb 2021 at 7:52 pm