Bonga

I know this is pretty typical out there, ammmm I'm 19 and I broke up with my first love recently.(Yeah I had my first love at 19) I don't know how to get over her.........help.

Published  5th Apr 2021 at 8:37 am
JOYCE KAMUNYAPsychologist Practicum Student
I am sorry to hear about your breakup. Breakups are incredibly disruptive and they hurt. It is ok to deal with a complicated range of emotions such as sadness, self-doubt, and anger. Exactly how long it takes to get over a breakup and let your heart heal depends on your support system, resilience and self-esteem. Heartbreak is unique to everyone, but it's also an incredibly common experience.
How to deal with a breakup. 
  • Let It Out, Share your feelings, 
  • Don't be afraid to cry. Going through a break-up can be really tough, and crying can be a big help. If you don't want to cry in front of anyone, just find a place where you can be alone, like crying into your pillow at night or in the shower when you're getting ready for the day, 
  • Be Kind to Yourself, Remember what's good about you. Sometimes people with broken hearts blame themselves for what's happened, 
  • Take good care of yourself. Get lots of sleep, eat healthy foods, and exercise regularly to decrease stress and feel better about yourself.
  • Do the things you normally enjoy. Whether it's seeing a movie or going to a concert, do something fun to take your mind off the negative feelings for a while.
  • Keep yourself busy. Sometimes this is difficult when you're coping with sadness and grief, but it really helps. This is a great time to redecorate your room or try a new hobby. That doesn't mean you shouldn't think about what happened — working things through in our minds is all part of the healing process — it just means you should do other things too.
  • Give yourself time. It takes time for sadness to go away. Almost everyone thinks they won't feel happy again, but the heartbreak almost always gets better after a while. But how long will that take? That depends on what caused your heartbreak, how you deal with loss, and how quickly you tend to bounce back from things. Getting over a break-up can take a couple of days to many weeks — or longer.

If all else fails and you still feel like you’re in a rut after months, it may be time to consider therapy. Therapy can be a safe space to talk it out, share fears, and help you address past issues the breakup raises, as well as get your heart and mind ready to get out there again.
  Published  5th Apr 2021 at 9:32 am