Bonga

I lost Kshs 300,000 in a money market fund (Amana Capital). These was my emergency fund saved up for a rainy day and I am still in a state of shock. I don't know how to react. I have completely lost hope in this country Kenya, people steal even some of the safest investments and I don't know how to start. Sleeping is my coping mechanism. Sometimes I wish to go to sleep and never wake up. Unfortunately I wake up and I have to deal with all this hopelessness.

Published  7th Sep 2020 at 9:51 am

Hello. Thank you for sharing your problem. You suffered a huge loss and I can't imagine what it's like for you being taken advantage in the midst of a pandemic. It must be hard for you and and no wonder you're still in a state of shock. How long ago did this happen? You say you didn't know how to react. Did you take any action such as reporting the matter to the police? Have you discussed the issue with anyone else?

Like I said at the beginning, you suffered a loss and you are therefore going through the grieving process. There are five stages of grief namely anger, denial, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Take time to process what happened and allow yourself to grieve (stages do not follow a particular order). The aim is to arrive at the final stage which is acceptance. You will finally have to accept what happened so that you can move on. It is possible. From what you describe, the hopelessness and the despair indicate that you are depressed. Remember, this is normal. You had probably saved this money for a long time and even had plans for it. But the sun will shine again soon. Try not to focus too much on the loss. Sleep is not a healthy coping mechanism but try and find activities that bring you joy and that can restore your hope such as volunteering to help the needy.

The negative thoughts you are having may be due to the fact that you have convinced yourself that the situation cannot be salvaged and that you will never get be happy again? Are these thoughts really true? Try and challenge them because you are a person that is capable of doing so much more. So when ready stop mourning, get back on your feet and go out there and conquer the world. You can do it. I believe in you.

Published  8th Sep 2020 at 2:55 pm

Thank you so much. And thank you for the suggestion on what I can do to cope. Sleeping and taking long showers is so comforting to me. Because when I am put in a situation where I have to interact with others, I find myself breaking down and crying. Once I am strong enough, maybe I can get back on my feet and volunteer. Right now I am only thinking of what I can do to recover Kshs 300k. I have lost so much trust in Kenya - I feel as though there are so many thieves in Kenya (even as far as fund managers) and I dont know how to regain my trust in Kenya and invest my money again.

Published  8th Sep 2020 at 5:34 pm

I've lost over a million in financial markets. I view it as school fees. Payment for getting the knowledge that nobody puts you first other that yourself. Professionals in any field, be it medical, financial, construction et al will put themselves first then give you scrapes if any left. Education that I should learn how to save and grow my money, how to look after my health, how to protect and grow my relationships with others etc No one can do better for me, other than me

Published  15th Sep 2020 at 7:05 am

Thank you for the insight, I find it helpful.

Published